Monday, December 12, 2005

The argument.

"One plate samosa, one coffee. Is the leg better now?", I smile at Murugan. A pleasant smile suffuses across his young face and he says, "Much better ayya. It now hurts only here." and he bends down and points to the region around his ankle.

"Another great story ayya? I shall not disturb you", and he is gone as quickly as he appeared. That is one smart lad, I think to myself, watching him talk with the same comfort with several other regulars in the restaurant, if you could call it that.

"Anandam Coffee shop" - the billboard declared in a slightly garish red. The m tilts down at an angle, as if to bless the customers. The walls inside are painted an unrecognizable shade of brown, that has peeled off in corners. A few rusty fans make sure that the smoke from the kitchen swirls inside in a haze. I cannot say why but sitting in this little smoke-filled place, my mind settles down to a lazy calm, that I cannot seem to achieve anywhere else. I come here every evening with my little notebook and pen, looking inside my mind, looking around me for inspirations and ideas.

I write, for a living. I manage to make ends meet with what I write - articles to the tamil magazines, short stories and if I am lucky, interviews with people who are a lot more famous than I am. Murugan always serves me. I don't tip him much. I don't eat much but over the years, we have established a comfortable rapport. I listen to his stories about his life, his boyish ambitions, his dreamy-eyed goals and see a part of my self that I left behind a long time ago...

But this story is not about me. It is about two women, as different from each other as can be. It is about clashing ideals, friendship, fate and a mother's love. That is probably how I will introduce my article if it ever gets published. For now, let me call it what it is - an interesting conversation between two women, powerful in curiously different ways.

Initially I struggle to make out much from the girlish chatter than goes on. "Gosh, you have lost so much weight!", "Do you remember Manjunath from our Eco class?" and so on. I pretend to jot down notes as I doodle, waiting to shape their conversation into something interesting. I did not have to wait for long.


"How old is she?", Divya asks, lightly touching the child's cheeks.

"All of two years and seven months...". An unmistakeable touch of pride that only a mother's voice can convey.

"She is adorable. So a year before she goes to school?" Casual, almost disinterested.

"Yes, a little more than a year. I wonder how I can bear to be away from her for so long, once she starts going to school...". A touch of wistfulness?

"What do you mean? Have you taken a break from work, Madhu?!" Surprise evident in her slightly elevated tone.

"Uh, yes of course. I planned to take a break of a year and then I thought, maybe I should wait until she goes to school..." She seems to be revisting the decisions of the past. She finds in her a need to validate her decision. The hint of a defensive edge in her voice confirms my inference.

I continue to jot down my thoughts, derivations, interpretations as the conversation takes on a slightly serious tone.

"And you...have you found your Mr.Right?"

"Still searching. Am confident I will find him!"

As if on cue, Divya's cell phone rings and she speaks in hushed tones, audible to Madhu.

"No Gautam, I can't make it today. Sure, some other day. Yes, I'll give you a call"

A final comment from Gautam makes her laugh and she hangs up, shaking her head, "Guys, can't live with them, can't live without them!"

"So, how did you find him?" Divya winks at Madhu

"I didn't. My parents did...I don't think I could have done a better job!", Madhu winks back but the import is lost on Divya.

I write in my notebook,
Divya has a look of incredulity on her face.

I try to string words to match her thoughts -
"The poor woman?" or "I hope he doesn't give her a rough time, she may be naive but she is my friend?"...I also notice that Madhu is not at all discomfited by the look on her friend's face. Does being a young mother make one accustomed to such looks? Or do they just convey an ignorance that she does not bother to correct - maybe she waits for time to answer the question?

"So, how do you like being a mother? A full-time job, isn't it?"

"Yes, it is. Doesn't leave you much time for anything else. Sometimes, you don't want time to do anything else...", Madhu smiles and Divya nods, unconvincingly.

"But Madhu, what happened to the journalism course that you were going to take? Remember, you wanted to travel the world...this is, this is...quite a surprise."

Madhu pats her daughter's head absently, "Sometimes, life takes us on a journey that we least expect, maybe its not what we had in mind, but its interesting, challenging and it makes sense...you know what I mean?"

Divya does not know. Or she wouldn't be looking at her wrist watch with that now familiar impatient gesture. Madhu looks over her head and catches my eye. I smile at her but she doesn't see me.

"So, it's been fun catching up Madhu but now, I have to go. I still have some work to do for the demo on Monday."

"It's been fun Divya. Do call up sometime, it gets boring when she takes her naps, you know?"

Divya smiles back at Madhu ruefully, or so I thought.

As they get up to leave, a gentleman enters the shop and looks around for a bit before his eyes settle on Madhu and the child. He smiles and walks towards them.

"Madhu! You never keep track of time, do you? We have to go now or your mom will kills us!" He taps lightly on Madhu's head, fondly, as one would to a child.

Madhu smiles and introduces her husband to her friend, "Dinesh, this is Divya..."

Divya stares at the soft-spoken, handsome young man and pauses before extending her hand. He gives her hand a cursory shake before lifting his daughter up. His attention is already completely on his daughter who has suddenly started talking non-stop.

I try once again to read what each fleeting flicker on Divya's face conveys - "And finally I lose to a young girl of not even three?" or "There are men, much unlike the Gautams of this world?" or maybe they are just feelings that sometimes one does not like to acknowledge or express - surprise? jealousy? disbelief?

Divya watches the three of them walk out. Dinesh has his hands draped around Madhu, and his daughter leans her head on his left shoulder. He leans down to whisper something to Madhu that makes her blush and cast her eyes down.

I write down the last line in my notebook,

"And Divya knows she has lost the argument."

13 comments:

fieryblaster said...

excellently conveyed expressions. though women get transformed completely after marriage, the transformation is really enjoyable.

divya and madhu can be two phases in evey women's life. well done:)

Zeppelin said...

cute story babe ! i likes... :)

RS said...

fieryblaster - Thanks! :)

zeppelin - Thangs anna! (^_^)

dinesh said...

Writer amma,

Once again, you have me entertained ! Beautiful story and a good concept.

A few thoughts:
I would have thought you'd have talked about one emotion, but you didn't.I would have expected madhu to be a little jealous of divya and how she's able to follow her dreams without the marriage interference. All other emotions were beautifully captured.

"So, how did you find him?" Divya winks at Madhu

"I didn't. My parents did...I don't think I could have done a better job!", Madhu winks back but the import is lost on Divya"

Just an observation: I don't believe we use a lot of winks during our everyday conversations, or atleast I don't. It's not just you, I've seen other writers use "winks" a lot to describe a scene. When I try to fit a wink in a scene that I build using your words, it somehow falls off !

Italics for thoughts is a clever idea. I've seen sidney sheldon use it all the time. I think it's very effective and attractive to the reader !

Good job buddy !

"soft-spoken, handsome young" Dinesh

(JK, I wish I was all that...or atleast one of that :))

BZ said...

RS,

Really suppppperr!!
I am not much of a writer, so cant really criticize on your way of writing.
Career vs home is a difficult choice every woman of this generation has to make.
Now you have kindled the one question I have been putting at the back of my head to ponder over later :--(
And agree with fieryblaster, as to Divya and Madhu being the same girl, pre- and post- marriage.

TJ said...

Nice match, and a deserved winner!!

RS said...

dinesh

Nice to see your blogs back here and thanks! :)

and how she's able to follow her dreams without the marriage interference.

Hmm...tricky, is she able to follow her dreams? Or did her dreams just lose importance and were replaced by other dreams?

I don't believe we use a lot of winks during our everyday conversations,

Now that you say it, I think so too :)

"soft-spoken, handsome young" Dinesh

I have a feeling I should have switched Gautam and Dinesh's names ;)

saranya, thanks! Glad you liked it :)

I think this is one question that we keep pushing to the back of our minds because either decision leaves us with something to be desired...

Parth said...

Good one. I am still trying to make out my impression of the plot and the emotions encompassed here. I wonder what would happen if the same story were written with two men. Naah, it wouldn't work. The single guy would still look at the married sucker and believe he has it better :-)

Anonymous said...

Nice story, very well written. I like how you described Anandam Coffee Shop.

"The m tilts down at an angle, as if to bless the customers."
"The walls inside are painted an unrecognizable shade of brown"
"A few rusty fans make sure that the smoke from the kitchen swirls inside in a haze"

I virtually got transported to Anandam Coffee shop. Cool, liked it :-)

Ardra said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Ardra said...

liked the build up, the description of the cofee shop, the narration- and the style of inserting the dialogs- the observations on the side by the narrator-

as for the actual story matter- a very familiar scene- I think- but when a person is truly satisfied with one's choices- they dont usually notice the other person's barbs perhaps- they're too blissfully preoccupied- and I feel that it is when a person is not too sure abt one's choices, is not too secure abt one's lifestyle,situation that they tend to envy another...
such situations would indeed be noticed by an interested/curious bystander...

shall keep coming back..do keep writing...
ardra

RS said...

tj - :)

parth - :)))

hellboy - thanks, its based a bit on a small restaurant that I've been to with my dad :)

ardra - thanks :)

BUS said...

"And finally I lose to a young girl of not even three?" ... well said..

the baby is in a smoke filled coffee shop???