Saturday, December 03, 2005

The choice - 2

I am running out of titles, I guess...my earlier story also titled "The Choice" here :)

I pass the card through the shredder and watch it strip one path of my uncertain fate into little bits. I switch off the light and sit on my chair next to the bed, in semidarkness. The curtains flutter as if whispering to me and I watch the moonlight filtering through it and falling on my wife's face, as if the heavens had made their choice. And I had made mine.

Shreya...Shreya. As if I had to shush even to say her name. Even her name must not escape my lips, aloud. A day away from reality and my life had changed. How did I let my mind waver thus? Seven rounds around the fire, three priests chanting vedic verses, even the sacred yellow thread that she still wore around her neck...none of them could shackle my fickle mind. No, I am not fickle. I did not as much as think for a second that I would stray for another woman. But, Shreya was different. Shreya never left me to reappear in my life now. She was always there. I just closed my eyes and thought she was not near.

4 comments:

Zeppelin said...

rs,
good one... I thought you said Arun is very different from me ?? do you really think so ? ;)

Anonymous said...

nice one...ur protagonist finally displays shades of grey...it's time to write crime stories now :)
random thot: the moon would 'wink' if he had made the other choice, no?
- L

Anonymous said...

This piece was good. Was that choice well made ? And I liked that comment from "L" - Would the Moon ;) if he had made the other choice ?

-Vasu

RS said...

arun - well... :)

L - No, no crime stories for me but thanks :)

yengeenadhukavidhai - nice to have a bitsian visitor at my blog, welcome :)

Vasu - Thanks!
I think the winking is not a conspiratorial wink, more like a pat on the shoulder kind of wink :) Get it? :)