Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Chapter 2. The phone call.

The next day, a call early morning made Raghavan take the one big step that he had hesitated to take for many years - he decided to go to America.

"Appa, amma's leg has become worse because of the cold. Yesterday, she took a walk outside and slipped on some of the ice on the pavement..."

Raghavan's face clouded with anger and concern...

"Appa, it will probably be good for amma if you also come over. I don't think she can travel back so soon...and you haven't seen the baby yet."

And Raghavan finally made up his mind.

That evening Gangadharan almost danced with joy. "You are indeed lucky Raghavan, you have a son who wants you with him in America!"

"Save your joy! He is only calling me so I can be a nurse to Parvathi while he goes to work! His new wife would have probably complained!"

And they had discussed life in America and what all arrangements Raghavan had to make - visa, warm clothes, Indian music CDs because they would not be available in America...

"Just because I am living in my son's house doesn't mean I will depend on him for anything..."

Gangadharan nodded his head in agreement.

"I will still buy grocery, take my evening walks, go to the library once in a while..."

Gangadharan nodded some more, a little hesitantly this time, "Won't you need a car to...?"

"Car, shmar, I will walk, when I was little, I..."

And several hours later, Gangadharn left with dreams of America.

No comments: