Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Chapter 3. The Visa Interview.

The Visa office was too crowded for Raghavan's liking. A round man, around Raghavan's age came panting into the hall, sweating profusely, he seemed to be running for the past fifteen minutes. He looked around for a few seconds and settled down near Raghavan to catch his breath.

"I thought I would be late for my appointment", he offered by way of explanation to Raghavan. He was a retired judge and Raghavan approved of judges. So, he decided to talk to the judge to kill time while he waited for his turn.

"Nowadays, all of India wants to go to America", Raghavan began loudly.

"Yes, yes, my son and daughter are both there for the past 10 years...", the judge nodded vehemently, spreading a few drops of sweat around him, "and they have not spoken a word of coming back..."

"Yes, these kids have forgotten where they hail from, money is the culprit!"

The conversation was gaining momentum and Raghavan was about to launch into one of his favorite discussions when his name was called for the Visa interview.

"And what is the purpose of your visit to America, Sir?", the young American sitting behind the counter asked politely.

Raghavan took an instant dislike to him. Who did this young man think he was? God?

"I have applied for a visitor's visa which means I will be a visitor in America. I am visiting my son."

"And when do you intend to return Sir?"

As soon as possible! Raghavan bit his tongue and said, "You see my wife is in America with my son and she has fallen down and hurt her leg. As soon as she gets better, we both will return..."

"Only son?"

How did this young upstart care if he had 18 sons?

"Only son and I know not why he wants to live in that Godforsaken place, leaving a country like India behind. I think the younger generation need some advice from us - their priorities are mixed up! Everyone can earn money - when I was Vice President of..."

Half-an-hour later, Raghavan waved goodbye to the judge and left the consulate with a visitor's visa in hand.

No comments: