Thursday, June 02, 2005

Perception.

Oil splattering, the sound of the cool, slightly wet steel ladle touching scalding oil, three quick flips of the samosas, maybe four and they are carefully removed and placed on bright green leaves, maybe a bit yellowish at the sides. I try to see a family of four buying the samosas at the shop, inconveniently situated in the middle of the platform, maybe...

A toddler on the woman's hip, sleeping peacefully - I feel a strange communion with him, we see alike now - a little girl with two oily plats, red ribbons, no, yellow...she tugs at her mother's salwar kameez, her father has his nose buried in a magazine at a nearby book store.

Magic lies not in black and white, waste not your life in the illusion of the written word, open your eyes, take in the magic that colors create...take it in when you can, look at the contrast that the delicate purdah creates on your wife's creamy complexion, see how her earrings glitter even through the smoke, notice the mischief in your child's eyes...are they not perfect? Foolish man, throw the book and breathe in life!

A shrill whistle, quickening footstpes, excited shouts, a crescendo heralding the train's arrival. "Walk faster Latha, here, let me carry your bag...", a woman's gasp, the bag lands with a thud. I lift it and hold it for her to take. She smiles gratefully - don't they all? - and takes the bag from me, our hands touch for a moment and she shrinks away, I hear the rustle of her dress as she hurries away from me.

She has soft hands, I want to touch them again...Latha...Latha, lilting...her name reminds me of an old Hindi song...

I have company. "Aapko patha he, mumbai se delhi jane waali gaadi kab aayegi?" Do they still look at their gold-dialled wrist watches when they ask this question?

I answer him and he sighs and flips open his cell phone, "Suresh, stuck here man, bloody schedules...never on time, we have to reschedule the ops meeting, yes that sounds ok, Catch you later." The young man studies me with interest, I start coughing at the cigarette fumes that he exhales on my face. "Sorry...", he murmers and looks away.

"Quite alright, I should be used to it by now..."

He looks at me, surprised? "These trains are never on time, doesn't it bother you? And look at the decrepit state of this station, I am just waiting to get out of here..."

"I like this station, infact, this is my favourite spot, right here, on this bench, I get to meet interesting people, you know?", I wink at him.

"That would surprise me...favourite spot? as in, you are here by choice?!"

I smile. "Yes, I find peace here, in the midst of all this...", I spread my arms out, "Here, in this station, I see, I see everything...watch that little girl by the corner, in that torn red dress, see the way she eats the ganna (sugarcane)? I cannot see that when I am home..."

He looks around - I hear the crinkle of his expensive suit - "What girl?"

I smile some more - people amuse me - "You wouldn't see her son, such is the magic of this place...let your senses overtake you, close your eyes for a second and breathe, feel...see!"

He does not understand, some people cannot understand. His eyes cannot see what mine can and I cannot see what his eyes can...perhaps, it is he who is blind.

14 comments:

kamal said...

We will call this puzzle number 2.

For puzzle no 1: Click here

I tried to read a story, and I am sitting here trying to figure out what is up with this dude.


Also, these stories, will make good microsoft interview questions.

BUS said...

yayyyyyyyy!!!! I think I understood this puzzle or so I think!!!

Now I dont want to explain what I understood and then make a fool out of myself when RS tells me that what I understood is wrong...

But anywayz here goes...

Answer to K's Puzzle No:2
------------------------
I think the story tries to tell us the beauty in everything. It tries to convey the fact that everyday activities if viewed from a different angle has its own charm. Also, People see things differently based on the situation they r in...The samosa eaters are may be hungry and so do not see the oil splatter, the green leaves and the quirky location of the platform...they want samosas. The bookworm has been seeing his wife and kids all his life and so he fails to recognize the small nuances in his wife and daughter that the narrator sees. The same goes for the woman with the luggage, the man worried about ops meeting, the cigarrette buddy.
The narrator however is vetti - vela in life - and has nthg to do except sit on the bench and chill. So she enjoys the little pleasures that others fail to see. She sees the people from different walks of life and shines in the bliss she feels by looking deeper into the people that surround her.

So to sum up, her perception is different :).

---- End of Answer----

RS: please dont fail me :)


BTW: K, I have downgraded ur puzzle 1 to puzzle 2 status. Now my puzzle 1 is Impulse, Irony & I. I am still waiting to learn the answer to that puzzle.

kamal said...

Poor Bus, I think RS is going to fail you :)

You did as badly on the puzzle as I did. I also saw whatever you saw and then when I heard the xplanation. I was zapped :)

Also, puzzle numbers are just numeric they do not convey a degree of difficulty :) .. so we will call Impulse, Irony and I as puzzle 3 :)

I will wait to see the reaction to the real story :)

kamal said...

"yayyyyyyyy!!!! I think I understood this puzzle or so I think!!!"

just an additional comment, I had a hearty laugh when I read Bus's comment .... especially seeing the length of his answer to the quiz :)

BUS said...

oh nooooooo!!! I failed huh!!! Che and here I was under the "perception" that I have done it!!!

I re-read the story and could not get anything beyond what I already wrote... I think there is something in those italicized sentences...

RS: give hint!!!

K: Ok, let this be P3.

dinesh said...

Here are my interpretations...

The person is real but what he sees is not all real.

"Foolish man, throw the book and breathe in life!"

Interpretation - "I made the same mistake when I was in your situation, throw the book out and enjoy the real beauty"

"I want to touch them again...Latha...Latha, lilting...her name reminds"

Interpretation - Latha's the lady in his imagination and this lady is not actually latha !

" I try to see a family of four"

You try to ? Why do you try ? You either see or you don't see..you try to because it's in your imagination and it's not reality..


"What girl?"

You see something the cell phone guy doesn't..meaning the girl is not real ?


"let your senses overtake you, close your eyes for a second and breathe, feel...see!"

Feel and see ? You only see what you want to see..so you feel it and then you see..you don't see what's in front of you..you only see what you want to ?

My interpretations leave me an unfinished puzzle..so I'll leave it to you finish it for me :)

Bellebin said...

Beautiful piece :)
I think I see the answer to puzzle number 2. Everything falls into place after reading the last line...and reading the story again with the last line in mind.

Hint to people puzzled by it:
Note that the man is 'sensing' everything ... not actually 'seeing' anything....

Again, RS: a beautiful flawless piece to my mind.

RS said...

To Kamal: Dude, expect more interview questions!

To Bus: Nice interpretation! Interesting how you tied it to the title! I like :)

To Dinesh: You picked up all the hints in the story, bundled them up neatly to your trail of thought...same scene, different perceptions :)

To Bellebin: Touche! Exactly what I had in mind :)

To perceive: To become aware of directly through any of the senses, especially sight or hearing, To achieve understanding of...(this and bus's explanation) - hence the title perception

dinesh said...

RS,

"a little girl with two oily plats, red ribbons, no, yellow"

Apart from providing the reader with a hint, I didn't think this fit in the story..why would he change colors in his perception ?

So latha was indeed a real person ?

You give the impression that the person was not impaired initially. That I get from
"Do they still look at their gold-dialled wrist watches when they ask this question?"

If that is true, then this sentence is slightly iffy as well.
"don't they all?". Because if he was not impaired at one point, he'd know one way or the other for sure..

Nice one ! Keep it coming :)

RS said...

Dinesh, answers:
1) I think he uses his disability (he doesn't think that) as a gift, he has the choice to see a red ribbon or yellow, he is not constrained by the colors of the world, they are all in his mind's eye...he can play with them, according to his whims!

2)Latha is real.

3)Correct, he was not blind initially. "Don't they all" is more of a rhetorical question...it is an answer in itself, it means, "They do...", it's like asking "Is she ever on time?".

Nice one? Keep it coming? tch :)

kamal said...

See, I told ya :) .. this is a puzzle :)

The Doodler said...

Well, its kind of late now to post my interpretation. But I got the drift when nowhere in the piece, it was mentioned that he "saw" anything.
"The bag landed with a thud"- again, sound not sight.
"Do they all look at their gold-dialled wrist watches even now?" - imagining the present in the context of what used to be the case.
I loved this one, Ramya!

RS said...

To Subha, perfect! ...and thanks :)

Anonymous said...

"...perhaps it is he who is blind" - a nice way to end...